Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Troika!*

This weekend I was offered the opportunity to join Michelle Davidson Argyle (Lady Glamis) and Davin Malasarn on Davin's blog, the Literary Lab. Being no fool, I accepted the chance to co-host the Lab with these fellow writers, whose essays and comments about the craft of writing I greatly admire. The point of this merging of ideas is, as Davin says,

"We decided to work together because the three of us share a love for literary fiction, an art form that has sadly become associated with stuffy and inaccessible writing. Our hypothesis is that classical literary techniques will make any writing better, and the best popular fiction can also be the best literary fiction."

In other words, everyone should write well regardless of genre and the three of us are hoping to be some help in our little corner of the cyberworld.

This blog will be continued and I'll post progress reports as my novel moves through the publishing process. I'll pass along anything I think I've learned during that process. I also intend to post about writing my next novel (working title: Kindle-Ready Zombie Book), once I really get started on it.

* Tolstoy reference for Davin

17 comments:

  1. I'm excited to work with you, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know why I haven't wandered over to your blog before Scott! I'm glad I finally made it!

    The Troika is going to set the blogosphere alight - good luck and I look forward to reading the combined efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle: I predict awesome coolness. That's a literary theory term, I swear.

    Ann V: I don't know about setting the blogosphere alight, but we might have fun. Thanks for the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you guys will make an amazing combo. Fun fun!

    Zombies hmm? Well, you know I'm interested. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The days of throwing crap and a unicorn in a book will soon be over. Live, beautiful prose. Live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more I write the more I feel the need for unicorns and zombies. Looks like Scott is moving in the same direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zombie unicorns! Zombie vampire unicorns!

    Erin: No zombies, sorry. But the devil himself makes an appearance. Is that more or less cool than zombies? Less? Oh, damn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was prepping a query for Nathan Bransford's "Agent for a Day" contest, I made up a vampire story that I swear is totally original. I didn't submit it, I'm camping on it because it is waaay cool and I will expand the premise into a novel some day.

    It's main fault is that it doesn't involve unicorns or zombies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A unicorn-riding vampire who hunts zombies! Oh, wait: Dickens already did that one. Damn. All the good ideas have been taken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about your new venture over on Glam's site. Sounds like a pretty good idea. You can help all us plebian authors elevate our prose to the heights of great depth and literariness. I will be checking in every chance I get. I'll just have to be careful and remember not to get carried away with y'all's brilliance and highlight the screen. It's too hard to get off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darn! Your decision to collaborate has increased your popularity. Someday soon Bilious Bailey will have accumulated more followers than Bozo Bowman. Ha ha. Oh well, you need them for a reason. Fair enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Justus: As soon as people start reading my long-winded and dense posts on Davin's blog, they'll abandon me. "What is this prolix geezer beazling on about?" they will ask. "Why does he put words like 'prolix' and 'beazle' in our mouths? Who said he could write our dialog, anyway?" And stuff.

    Speaking of bilous, my first post (tomorrow) will be about critiquing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BIG congratulation to you and I am sure everyone of us is looking forward to this collaboration. You guys made our lives even more colorful. BIG THANKS to you all. Grace and peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prolix Bailey,

    I didn't find beazle in my e-dictionary. Methinks you pulled the term from thick air. Durn it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't beazle something from Harry Potter? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to you : )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Beazle" is a word I got from Stephen Fry, and while I believe he made the word up, I think it's derived from "bezeling," to cut an oblique angle (a bezel) into something. So, to "beazle" is to speak in an oblique manner.

    ReplyDelete