Monday, July 27, 2009

Unstuck, Part One

So, despite my continuing claims that I've been stuck at the cusp of actual revisions, I have made some progress. Davin can attest to the fact that I've been making a lot of notes, and I have already done the hardest bit by cutting the first 5200 words of the manuscript. Here's a picture of all the words that have been hacked off:



Some of the next 5000 words will have to be rewritten, and I've got long-range changes that will have to be made over the course of the entire ms. But I know what I want to do and the more I think about it, the less overwhelming it looks.

I really would, honestly, rather not begin this revision. It sounds like work, and I'm enjoying being lazy of late. But I know that the book will be much, much better when I'm done. I also know that I'm going to do a lot more work than my agent actually suggested, because his suggested minor change made me realize that it would be really cool if I made even bigger changes, and I can't stop myself. Does my agent know that my planned revisions exceed his suggestions? No, he doesn't. But I'm doing them anyway, because that's the sort of person I am. I know I'm right, so off I go to be right.

7 comments:

  1. Yikes. Brave and inspiring. The biggest chunk I've cut so far in my revisions was only five paragraphs. :o

    Glad you're unstuck though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick: Brevis esse laboro, spero obscurus non fio! Lois will likely correct my usage.

    Erin: The more often I revise, the bolder I get about making big changes. I think that's because I feel less like a parent to the story and more like a craftsman. Hopefully that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the commitment -- I was 12k in on the current WiP and decided to rewrite from the very beginning, and that's not the first time anything of the sort happened.

    Ideas for rewrites are running through my head even as I write now ... and, though I wish for a moment or two of laziness, I look forward to the work.

    Congratulations on your progress, Scott, and I wish you the best of luck as you attack your piece of work. I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I'm glad you know what works for your book. I'm making headway in Monarch too. Can't wait to swap with you. Won't it be nice to just be lazy and read? Ahhh, imagine... our manuscripts finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Lois is gone gone gone lately. So if you want her to correct you you'll have to put up a red flag somewhere. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weronika: Thanks for the luck! Now that I've started this revision, I get more (and better) ideas all the time, and I too now look forward to the work.

    Michelle: Oh, that'll be nice, to spend September not writing! Can't wait to read MONARCH.

    I noticed Lois wasn't posting. That's okay; I can get away with poorly-declined Latin nouns and bad syntax for a while!

    ReplyDelete