Thursday, August 27, 2009

Revisions Continued

I took today off from work and from all things computing to renew my driver's license and then, after the 2.5 hour hell that is the DMV, work on revisions to the novel. Here is what my desk looked like during revisions:



And while that may look like plenty of scribbling on the pages, it's what I consider a light edit. This might be why revisions take so long for me; I tend to make a lot of changes every time I read through the book. Why? Because I can. Also, I hope, because I get better as a writer all the time. At least that's what I tell myself. Maybe I just can't resist fiddling with the narrative. Don't know. Anyway, I'm about 25% of the way through the manuscript. I'd like to get through the whole thing by the end of the month (as I've been saying here for quite some time), but it looks increasingly doubtful. It will take me a day just to type up all of the changes, very likely. Where is my personal assistant, damn it?

I won't be revising tomorrow; it's my birthday, and Mighty Reader and I plan to go to the beach, ride the water taxi across the bay, possibly take in a matinee of the new Miyazaki film, have dinner at the fabulous Carte de Oaxaca in beautiful Ballard, and then return home for champagne and cake. I will not, needless to say, be playing on the internets or building more walls in the attic tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Hope you have a great day and a year that grows in pleasures. Enjot the champagne and cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that means you'll miss my brilliant post today, you meanie. Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it's everything you imagined and more - good stuff anyway. :)

    See, that looks like a light edit to me, too. We're both of us insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you'll be 30 tomorrow? Congratulations! Also, champagne and cake? Ha. Probably going to an opera as well....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm commenting before reading the blog post, just because it's your birthday, Scott. Hmmm..I'm guessing from the comments that you are doing something fun today. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I just read the post. Hope you have a great day! Ponyo was fun and surprisingly random. If you can figure out what the wizard does with his light bubble gun, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your break from revising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Hope it was a happy one. I love your edits picture. :)

    ReplyDelete