Friday, September 18, 2009

Cutting Room Floor, Part 3

More expostion I don't need:

Like all young men on their first real exposure to education, Hamlet was amazed at his capacity to learn and mistook that capacity for a greater intellect than he actually possessed. I’d gone through it as well at his age, and it is only because Hamlet was truly likeable that I could withstand his earnest lectures about every subject under the sun. In the first and second year at university a young man feels that he either knows or is about to know everything worth knowing, and that every thought, even if it merely echoes the thoughts of the writers of antiquity he is being forced to read by his masters, is being thought for the first time in history, by him, and he is compelled to give voice to it. Hamlet regaled me with all the Plato, Aristotle et alia that I read years earlier, and I was expected to be astounded by the ideas he discovered. The prince was an excellent parrot of classical wisdom, entertaining and well spoken if not insightful. He enjoyed philosophy and the poets but had no mind for history, theology or any practical knowledge.

4 comments:

  1. Stop the insanity! I want to buy the Director's Cut special edition in a few years.

    Seriously, Scott, I'm glad you are liking these changes. I'm just sad to see this beautiful stuff--stuff that I like--get pushed aside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some day you can sell these posts on eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a cutting room floor novella? A prequel to Horatio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 100 years the editors of the scholarly edition can bundle the published version with the previous six drafts, with innumerable footnotes marking all the changes. Too bad I won't be around to see this 1,000-page masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete