Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Revisions Update, Part Something

I've been typing up all my changes to "So Honest A Man" into the Master Document(tm) these last two weeks. I really hate this bit, as it entails going through the marked-up pages and editing the Word doc to reflect all the edits I've made by hand on my printout. It's slow going because my handwriting isn't the best, and sometimes I've changed my mind a couple of times about revisions to passages and it takes me a while to figure out just what I meant. If there are radical changes to passages or scenes, it can take me longer to type up my changes than it took to do the actual revisions.

I find this very dispiriting work, and since I'm only reading the ms in bits and bobs as I edit, I keep getting the feeling that the narrative makes no sense. Of course it doesn't when read in this manner, but it's an odd mental place to find myself.

Happily though, when (like last night) I sit and take the time to read over a revised chapter, I am immensely pleased with what I've done to the book. It's a really fine story that I've written, and all of my changes work. The current plan is to ship it off to my agent around the first of October.

Approximate word count at this stage (about 50% through typing up changes) is 88,000. I assume it'll stay about that same length. I'm interested in that number, but not concerned about it. The book is plenty long enough.

9 comments:

  1. Nice work, Scott. You are almost done, so keep at it. Stay strong. I just finished going over my latest draft for flow, as I was describing. I had a partial request on Monday and a full request on Tuesday, so I wanted to get it out to those two agents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davin, Yay you! "Rooster" will find a home, I'm sure of it. When do I get to see a current draft? Or should I not hector you about it and let you get on with your work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Davin- congrats, that's great news!

    Scott, how many W'sIP do you have? Is this the same as Horatio?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick: Yeah, this is still Horatio. Damn him anyway. Right now, there's the ms I'm working on with the agent ("So Honest A Man"), there's one novel that I've outlined to the scene level and have some pages written, and there's another novel for which I've got a short synopsis written. That last one is, I think, the one I'll actually write next. But I can really only focus on one thing at a time when I'm writing, so nothing new gets any attention until my revisions go off to my agent.

    I think Davin will have an agent soon. And congrats again to you, for your agent-getting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. It's not the MS I really thought would open the door, but she's at a very respectable agency, and once I get my other 2 manuscripts in submittable form my best guess is that she will still rep them, or get me in contact with an agent she thinks is right form them.

    Now I have to balance the work. Little Rudy Toot-Toot is goring to grow from 4,000 words to about 20,000 real fast. The good news is that I know what I am going to do with the story, and I'm enjoying writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick: Good luck coming up with 16,000 words, stat. It's good you have a plan! Keep us all posted (so to speak).

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is easy to lose the big picture when you're working like that. I'm so glad that when you go back and read bigger sections you're happy. That's the real test. 88K is a perfect length.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now read it aloud. And tape record it. You will hear and see some amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason: I always read my prose aloud. It helps to catch weird rhythms and word combinations.

    ReplyDelete