Monday, December 21, 2009

Something Old, Something New

It's entirely possible that I won't touch this blog for the rest of the year, so here's a short report on the progress of my books.

So Honest a Man is still in the hands of Jeff Kleinman, my agent. At some point he'll get back to me and tell me what he thinks of my latest revisions. Some time next year, if there is a god at all, the book will actually go out on submission to publishers. Last night while riding the bus from Ballard to downtown, I had a new title idea: A Fine Pair of Jackdaws. I like that one, for a variety of reasons. We'll see.

Cocke & Bull remains in unfinished first-draft state. I've got a few hundred words to write to finish out Chapter 13, which I may attempt to do during lunch today. We'll see. I might go shopping for stocking stuffer items instead. Anyway, the book sits at around 30,125 words and I have long ago lost track of the bodycount. It's high, that's all I know. Not yet double digits I think, but certainly I'm giving Shakespeare a run for his money. There are at least four more corpses to come (not to mention all the destruction that will result from a handy natural disaster in Chapter 21). Stay tuned.

Edited to add: Chapter 13 is finished! Yay, me! I wrote about 750 most excellent words during lunch and got to the end of the chapter. It ends on a prepositional phrase, in case you were wondering. Now I get to skip forward in time a bit, a week or so though I plan to not specify exactly how far as it doesn't really matter. First sentence of Chapter 14: "We've gone too far west."

7 comments:

  1. Scott, have a great holiday! I sure hope you go out on submission next year. If you don't I'll be very worried. I really like that new title. I think that works well! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and how you came up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle: I hope you have a fabu holiday as well! Mr. Agent says that he's going to send me his comments soon, but certainly the book should go out early next year. He also doesn't so much like the "jackdaws" title so I've told him to please come up with something better. It's from the conversation between Horatio and Hamlet at the end of chapter 7 where Hamlet remarks that he and Horatio are the only two men outside the clergy in Denmark who are wearing black, and they'll "make a fine pair of jackdaws" as they roam the castle together. I don't know. I suck at titles. Maybe I'll just insist on calling the book "Horatio." Or "Hamlet, Revised."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember that line, but I think it works as a start. Perhaps Mr. Agent can come up with something absolutely brilliant. Can't wait to hear if he's happy with the revisions! If not, he's a little nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle: I think Jeff's happy; he's doing a "line edit" right now, so if he's taking time to do that level of work, we're getting pretty close to submissions. I've told him that if he comes up with a brilliant title, I'll worship him from afar for a limited time. He still doesn't know that I've rewritten the first two paragraphs, but he will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha about the first two paragraphs. Can I have a peek at them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I remember, I'll send you the first page tonight. It's not a huge change; the opening gesture seemed too abrupt and lacking in poetry to me, so I sort of stepped back a bit for a paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Scott! That would be great.

    ReplyDelete