Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chapter 17

This chapter (which will either be called "Slaves" or "The Dismal Swamp") is going to be another long one, my estimate being about 6,000 words. I can't really imagine it coming in any shorter than that. I've already got over 2,000 words down for it and I feel like I'm at about the 1/3rd mark (I can tell this because my chapters each have a three-part structure to them). Anyway, by now I've passed the 50,000 word mark, which means I'm certainly heading toward the last big stretch. There are three chapters after this one to complete the Second Act, and then four more chapters and I'll be--wonder of wonders--done with the first draft of the novel. So, yay.

No excerpts to post, as it's all scribbled into my notebook. When I actually type the new stuff into Word(tm), I might throw a paragraph or three up here. We'll see. There never seems to be time for anything these days.

wordcountometer ~= 50,000!

Also: I have heard back from my agent regarding my previous novel! I'll post an update about that once I've actually written/phoned the abovementioned agent. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the news from the agent. It must be good, you used an exclamation point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could just be neutral, you know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! He finally got back to you! He sounds like a busy man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neutral!! Neutral!!! Yeah, you're right, Scott. That works!

    I'm very excited to learn about how close you are to finishing this draft. I'm anxious to read it whenever you are looking for readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big D: I hope I can manage to finish this draft in two months. The thing about writing is that the better one learns one's craft, the harder the writing actually becomes because one attempts progressively more difficult things. Some of the moves I have in mind for the last third of the book have a high degree of difficulty. So we'll see. I don't know if I want to share the first draft, because I already know that the first third or so needs work. But we'll see. If I do let people read it, you're on the list!

    Ivana: Yeah, he's a busy man, but he made a lot of notes. The upshot to this latest round is that the book's not ready to go out on submission, and I heartily agree with my agent about that. The prose is good and solid and the characters are good, but there's a problem with the story itself that has become apparent and I need to fix that. So we've agreed that I'm going to finish my draft of "Cocke & Bull" and then I'll rewrite Horatio again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re-Write it completely?? Wow. I'd love to know what's wrong with the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ivana: Not completely, but significantly. I'll tell you privately what's up. But first, I ought to do some work for them who pays me at this office!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This leaves me hopeless, by the way. If Horatio, which I really enjoyed and thought was excellent (although I only read it once, so I definitely can see missing things), I feel like I have no hope of publication, ever. Don't mind me. Just a moment I'm already rising above. *can't please everyone* *nothing's perfect* *repeat*

    ReplyDelete