Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chapter Fifteen, Halfway Point?

I'm about halfway through Chapter Fifteen, Bull & The Farmer. I think. It feels like about halfway through. This chapter, I realize, doesn't contain any really brilliant language. Alas. But there's plenty of time for that sort of inspiration during the revisions. Anyway, it seems to be moving along in a fine enough manner and Matthew Barley is a good new character and he'll be a welcome addition to this chapter and the next. I imagine him played by a young Hugh Laurie (without the bad American accent).

wordcountometer=39,222!

Speaking of bad accents, Mighty Reader and I saw "Sherlock Holmes" last night at the Majestic Bay theater in beautiful Ballard. Aside from Robert Downey Jr's accent, which came and went, it was fine. Some plot manipulation over which Mighty Reader and I have argued to no point, but it's a rollicking good time and, yes, I'll go see the sequel if they make one. Guy Ritchie, the director, also made "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch," which are both fine movies.

3 comments:

  1. Was the accent as bad as Kevin Costner's in Robin Hood? That performance was laughable, although I think the movie overall was highly entertaining. Alan Rickman carried a lot of it.

    Lats night we rented and watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (very bad) and Inglorious Basterds (very good). Brad Pitt's accent was consistent, but it never seemed real coming from him. Although his pikey accent in Stash was great. And that brings us back to Guy Ritchie, so we have come full circle and now I must take my 8-year old son to his first wrestling match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Mr. Costner's Robin Hood, so I can't comment but lord, I can just imagine Costner doing a British accent. I shudder.

    Downey's accent was more like a collection of accents, sometimes sort of London, sometimes weirdly sort of Irish, sometimes Californian. But the action was non-stop and the cinematography and design were gorgeous, so I give it a thumbs up.

    Pitt in Stash was great. So was Benecio del Toro as the middle-aged Jewish gem dealer. I'm avoiding "Basterds" because Tarantino pisses me off lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes for the most part. I'd go see it again, maybe.

    Congrats on Chapter 15. Hugh Laurie is awesome, awesome. He's great in Sense and Sensibility with Kate Winslet. I think that's how he must be in real life, hah.

    ReplyDelete