Sunday, February 21, 2010

22 Down, 2 To Go

I have finished Chapter 22, at long last, and now I've got two remaining chapters to write and then the first draft will be finished! Yay, me.

wordcountometer = 66,776! A bit lower than I'd like, but it's a first draft and I know it will grow during revisions. Hell, I've already added stuff to the first chapter that I need to go back and add to the Word(tm) document. So apparently I am breaking one of my cardinal rules, and I'm editing a bit while still writing the first draft. Shame on me.

The elephant solution I have found works, I think, though likely it will all be cut in revisions, because life is like that. Mighty Reader has also urged a private joke on me, for inclusion in Chapter 22, and I am considering it but likely I won't use it because, once again, it adds nothing to the story and I ended up cutting a lot of those from my last book. Maybe, if it still seems droll after the revisions, I'll put it in. We'l see.

Anyway, two chapters to go. The next one will be interesting to write. I hope it's interesting to read when I'm done. As I close in on the end of this draft, I am a bundle of nerves second-guessing myself and really, I'd love to be done with this so I can just relax for a few weeks.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! I can totally identify with the Must.Finish.Draft. feeling. I think I'm gonna have to go back and edit the beginning though, cuz by now the story's changed so much I've gotta solidify the changes in character relationships before I move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for being so close! You can't relax, Mr. Bailey. Big D and I have a proposition for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Livia: I see now that some of the directions I thought I was going at the start weren't quite the directions I ended up going with the book, and so there are bits that need to be more clarified than changed. I had a pretty good idea of the story and characters when I first began, so mostly what's getting rewritten (and I hope this will hold for the actual revisions later on) is the manner of the story telling, not the story itself. If that makes sense.

    Ivana: I hope to be finished by the end of the month! That's a whole month ahead of schedule! What's the proposition? I am equally intrigued and frightened. And I also assume I'll leap pretty much straight into another revision of Horatio (new working title: The Stars Are Fire) when I'm finished with this first draft of "Cocke & Bull." But still, spill it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, that is an awesome title!!! Me likes.

    You should be frightened, very frightened. I'm frightened. I'll email you, although I'd like to talk to Davin first to finalize some details. He doesn't know I've said anything to you yet, and I'm not sure if he was really serious when we talked about it. But I think it's brilliant, so expect an email from me as soon as I can get a hold of Davin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.............................................

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read the elephant solution. I can't believe you actually put that in.

    ReplyDelete