Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chapter 19, in progress

wordcountometer = 59,031!

I shouldn't care about things like word counts, but I am excited that I'm about to break the 60K barrier. Truly, things like that are meaningless, especially in a first draft. Mostly I am pleased to be writing chapter 19 of 24, which means I'm about 80% through this phase of the work. Barring unforseen disasters, I should be well and truly done with this draft by the end of March. Yay, me.

Edit to add: Done with Chapter Nineteen! At 11:18PM. Wordcount = 60,430! Deaths in this chapter = 0! Sleep now.

5 comments:

  1. Yay you, indeed! Then onto revisions for Horatio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, then it's onto revisions for Horatio. And by "revisions" I mean essentially an rewrite from the ground up. I figure I'll keep about 20% of the current prose and the rest will be all new. That might be an unjustifiable pessimism; I'll know more when I'm actually working on it again. But I anticipate a whole lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's essentially what I did with Monarch. It was a pain in the butt. Right now, I'm not sure where it got me. But good luck. I'm sure you'll shape it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love barriers to break. It gives me incentive. 60K is a big one too. Congrats. Or if you'd rather... Congrats on finishing chapter 19.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lois: It really helps me to have concrete (if arbitrary) goals like this to keep me motivated. Now I'm into the Final Stretch and I can count down remaining chapters. I try not to think that finishing the first draft is only the start of the process and that I'll likely spend more time on revisions than on this original writing. I also have to rewrite the Shakespeare book. This is going to be a very busy year. If I think too much about it, I get exhausted in advance. Yay!

    ReplyDelete