Monday, February 15, 2010

Chapter 22 underway

I am well ahead of schedule for this first draft. I might actually have it finished before the end of the month. That would be really cool. The last chapters are flying by, mostly of course because they're all pretty short. I worry about that, but I'm sure it will be fine. My last novel's first draft was only about 72K, and I think "Cocke & Bull" will come in at about the same length. I already know that there are chapters in the first act that will need to be expanded.

Anyway, last night I finished Chapter 21 and wrote the first sentence of Chapter 22. Three chapters to go and then, yes then, I can have a break. Which is of course anothe way of saying that I can ignore "Cocke & Bull" while I write another draft of "Horatio." My work, never done. The wicked get no rest. Et cetera.

wordcountometer = 64,093!

5 comments:

  1. It seems to me that you're at cruising speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lois: Maybe. I have a disconcerting feeling that something is missing from the chapters I'm writing now, that I'm leaving something out. I am pretty sure that this feeling is telling me the truth, because these chapters don't seem to really mean to my protagonist what they should. I'm not sure what they should mean to him, and that's a problem. A rather large one, actually. I don't know, just yet, if the problem is with these chapters or with the previous 200 pages of book; maybe (and I think this is the case) I have not prepared the story properly for these chapters. Or--and this is equally possible--I am backing away from the meaning of the chapters I'm writing now because their meaning makes me personally uncomfortable. But I'll just keep writing and thinking about what I'm writing and hopefully the answer will make itself known to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if there's a problem in these last chapters, like you said, the answer will make itself known to you. Just finish and take it from there. You're moving fast and I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let up, Scott. Remember, February is a short month. :)

    This is very exciting. I'm still pretty far off from finishing another story, but I'm writing a lot, which I suppose is good. It's focus I'm lacking at the moment, but I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle: I'm moving pretty quickly with this book, yes, but I'm beginning to wonder now if there's nothing to it, if it's just foolish. Likely that's just me second-guessing myself now that I'm close to finishing the initial work. We'll see.

    Davin: Yes, I have less than two weeks of February to go! And I have almost no idea what goes into the last two chapters of this book! Oh, I have rough ideas about how it ends but really, I just don't know, and that sort of frightens me. But for now, I get to do research on hurricanes, and that sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete