Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chapter Eighteen, nearly done

I am about 2/3 of the way through this chapter, and it's been quite an exciting ride so far. I think I neglected to breathe during some parts of it, the story is so tense. But I believe I've done excellent work this evening.

I should mention that I am working now pretty much without a net, in that while I know what I want the story to do, I no longer have anything like an outline for this bit; I've got the titles of the chapters and some ideas in my head and I'm just writing it out as I go, improvising it word-by-word. For example, I have essentially no real idea what happens in the next chapter, except that one character contemplates the events of the chapter I'm now writing, and what it means to his own life and future. Which is pretty slim stuff to go on, but I'll figure out something to write, I'm sure.

wordcountometer = 56,058!

8 comments:

  1. I think the phrase is: Writing by the seat of your pants. Are you sure can write without an outline? Do you dare let the characters write their own story?

    I'm only funning with you Mr. Bailey, please don't think I'm being sarcastic -- My fun side tends to get distorted over the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Scott! I do this on first drafts A LOT. All that major planning of mine comes in on all the reworking I don in the second and subsequent drafts, which is where I'm at now on MONARCH, and I'm just lost still. Ugh.

    Just keep going! I'm convinced that our subconscious really does know what its doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting. I hope you stumble upon something great! I have faith that you will. If you get stuck, consider having the trees reveal themselves as aliens from another planet. Or perhaps one of your characters has been a ghost all along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last night I had a character stumbling around lost in the Great Dismal Swamp as a storm came up and then something awful happened and I was completely lost myself in Gardner's "fictional dream" and it was a most amazing experience and I want the rest of the book to all come about like that. But I know it won't. I don't mind stumbling and even falling, because sometimes there are diamonds in the mud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's only happened to me once in my ten years of writing, and it was quite an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott, that's happened to me a bunch of times, and it's an amazing experience. I'm not sure if I get anything great out of it storywise in the end, but it sure is fun and amazing. One of the reasons I keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love writing without a net. I get a greater high. All that adrenaline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The consequences of falling off the writing high-wire are pretty minor, too. I wish I could achieve that "holding my breath and seeing what I'll write next" state every time I sit down with pen in hand. Alas! Sometimes I have to be satisfied with merely competent. Sometimes, mostly grammatically correct is the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete