Friday, February 26, 2010

That's Me Done, Then

I have just now finished typing up the last pages of the first draft of "Cocke & Bull." Done! At 11:17 PST. I actually wrote the last words a little before 6:00 PM on the bus, but I don't count it until it's in the main Word(tm) document. Which it now is, kids, and I so rulez. Yes, I do.

wordcountometer = 73,082!

Not that it matters, but that's a tad longer than the first draft of my last book. If things go the same way with this book that they did on that book, I should gain another 10K during the first revision. Which revision won't happen until sometime late spring or early summer, I believe. I have another novel to revise (again) next.

But still, I'm done with the first run through of "Cocke & Bull" and I think it's the best thing I've ever written. It's sad and funny and terrifying and sweet and everything I wanted it to be. And now I'm off to bed.

12 comments:

  1. Whoa, that's exciting! It's such a good feeling to get done with each chapter. I'm so looking forward to being where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I think that's fantastic that you think it's the best thing you've written. What a great feeling!

    Please take a little break now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, looking forward to reading it some day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats. That's gotta feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC! That's so great. Those last couple chapters seemed to have flown by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! I'm truly happy for you and the good feelings this new book brings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone! The last chapter was strange to write, because I really had no idea where I was going and was just sort of feeling my way in the dark toward an ending. Was I ever glad when the final image (and sentences) came to mind and I was able to write toward them. I've also gone back and made some changes (already) to the first two chapters. Yay, revisions! But now the plan is to completely ignore the book until, well, I don't know when. I am taking the month of March off entirely from writing (Mighty Reader has bet me $50 that I'll break down and write prose during the month). My plan is to read a lot of books, work in the garden, play violin, and relax. Also, I am making an outline for the next revision of the book my agent and I've been kicking around.

    Anyway, it's nice to be done with draft #1. I learned a lot from this draft, and I'll try to post some of those lessons here. But not today (busy busy busy at the office).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope that break doesn't mean a break from blog posts....I can't cover for you all those days. *wink*

    This is so great that you're taking a break, Mr. Bailey! Gooood luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle: You're very droll. But no, I'm just taking a break from prose and novels. Blogging is still on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! You cranked that out quick. I'm only at about 45k...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin: Nobody who was going to trade first drafts with me is done yet! Of course, you're working on Hound and have all the Maass workshops so you didn't have the luxury of time that I had. Of course, I don't have a new whiteboard. I'm envious.

    Me: Hey, Erin got a whiteboard. Look!

    Mighty Reader: You can't have a whiteboard.

    Me: But--

    Mighty Reader: No.

    ReplyDelete