Friday, April 9, 2010

Chapter Four, continuing

I am now about 1,000 words into Chapter Four. I haven't found a title for it yet, but the royal banquet is nearing the end and the king has just taken his feet in order to make a rousing, patriotic speech. My assumption is that he'll say something pithy and metaphorical that I can use as a chapter title. If not, I'm sure Horatio will say something good later in the chapter, after the banquet is over. Guildenstern has passed out drunk, in case you were wondering, and Horatio has had a moment of nostalgia for banquets past. Polonius gets a "Paradise Lost" reference, which pleases me. I have also rewritten the sentences describing what food is served, giving a bit more detail and adding such phrases as "smothered in mushrooms." Alas, there are no desserts.

5 comments:

  1. Alas, there are no desserts. Not even a good pudding? What is a banquet without pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushrooms sound delish!

    What kind of desserts did they have, then, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desserts? Not really a proper course and very sugary dishes were mixed in with the rest of the meal, but there were often fruits served after meals. In fact, in "Hamlet," Polonius refers to giving better news after good news as "fruit to their meat." Anyway, roast chestnuts and sugary tarts and sweetmeats for dessert, but like I say, dessert wasn't really a big European deal until the 17th century, as far as I can tell. Mostly, you know, they sat around for three hours and ate a lot of rich foods and drank a great deal. That was supper if you were wealthy. Loads of people ended up with gout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was doing research on food for Cinders, specifically the strawberry, and found this interesting article: http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokthree.htm

    I'm having a difficult time with Cinders and the "accurate" information I keep thinking I need. It's in a fictional country and historic period, but a similar time period as the early to mid 16th century, so I can do whatever I want. Still, I want it to feel accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone needs to get a quill and ink and draw a mustache on Guildenstern's face.

    ReplyDelete