Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chapter Four Finished!

wordcountometer ~= 13,150!

No excerpts to post, sorry. Maybe later. Title for this chapter: "The Hour of Their Discovery." I am enjoying taking the titles from the actual chapter text, finding it when the chapter is finished. It's a new thing for me, and new is always good.

The end of chapter four also marks the end of Act One in this 5-act structure. Act Two is provisionally titled "The Assassin" and that means, you know, that the corpses will begin to pile up. That's how you know it's a book I've written. Chapter Five will also introduce two characters (Gertrude and Ophelia) and therefore some character dynamics and, finally, some discussion of sex. There will also likely be more drinking and someone will fall from a battlement. Probably. We'll see when I get there. I'll be interested to see what this title's chapter is. Chapter 7, I think, will be called "Bet on the Pig." Maybe that's Chapter 8, though. Again, I'll see when I get there.

Mostly, I want to have this book written so I can sit and read it. Yes, I think it's going to be that good.

3 comments:

  1. Heehee. I'm looking forward to this book. I'm almost afraid to read the bits and pieces because I want to get the whole thing for the effect.

    Someone falling from the battlements sounds fun. Apparently, I'm feeling a little sadistic today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sex, drinking and falling from high places...almost as much fun as drinking, murder and eels.

    I finished my own first act last week, 21K on the 5-act. I'm still sticking to it because I think it's plausible. There's another excerpt going up tomorrow if you're interested. You might enjoy the 'wharf'. Or quite possibly the interior of the old newspaper office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!

    I've never titled my chapters, but I've titled the sections in Cinders, and that has been fun. Only four of them. I wouldn't my brain to explode or anything.

    I'm still dreaming of our novella collection and the day I can sit down and read that. One day...

    ReplyDelete