Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chapter Three Finished

wordcountometer = 10,163!

10K words! Yay, me. I'm shooting for about 90K on this version, so that makes me about 1/9th finished. Huh. Anyway, I found a nice place to write during lunch just now and scrawled out a few hundred words and decided that I'd reached a nice place for a chapter break so I called it good. That means there will be one more chapter in this act than I had originally intended, but that's no big deal. In fact, it's no deal of any size at all.

It seemed to me that what was missing from Chapter Three was a sense of mystery. Even though I have been careful to plant questions in the reader's mind with every scene, I wanted there to be something more, something hinting at sinister doings and possibly foreshadowing some scenes to come (I confess that I didn't realize I was foreshadowing until just this minute, so well done me), so I decided to send Horatio up a stairwell and stumble upon some mysterious doings at the top of the tower. I am prepared to claim that it's a very Nabokovian moment.

Anyway, onward to Chapter Four, for which I have plenty of notes. Chapter Four will consist of a long, drunken feast and a conversation afterwards between conspirators. It will be, I think, the first of several (many?) drunken scenes. Denmark, you know. Hey, maybe Sir Yorick will be at the feast. It could happen.

11 comments:

  1. You mentioned earlier someone would be murdered. Who can it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, those murders will be in Chapter Five (which used to be Chapter Four until I decided to end Chapter Three where I did, necessitating a new Chapter Four; clear as mud?). I only know, at this point, who one of the corpses will belong to. We'll see who volunteers to join him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me it's Polonius. I still hate him for throwing Horatio's book overboard.

    I'm glad you found a table to write at. Beats sitting in the men's room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not Polonius. I'm not telling, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drunken scenes! Drinks all around!

    I just reached 10,200 words on Cinders...just now! We are on a roll, Mr. Bailey. However, I'm 1/3 of the way through, as I plan on Cinders only being 30,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *throws confetti* Huzzah for the 10K! Huzzah for the place to write!

    I'm still dropping back and studying things out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle: 30K words sounds like a nice size for a novella. I can't wait to read it. I have no idea how long mine will be. I really just have a premise, three characters, and a possible natural disaster. There are also weird fairy tale elements, but nothing specific and it's set in the real world, more or less.

    Lois: Yay, 10K and place to write! I really need to find some sort of set routine for writing. I wrote a lot of my last book in a cafeteria here on campus, but I'm sick of that place. Why can't the world arrange itself to suit my needs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. It's a great disappointment when the world does not accommodate all of our needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lois: Really it is. I just got back from lunch and I report that there was NO PLACE TO SIT ANYWHERE today unless I wanted to be elbow-to-elbow with a bunch of students, which I do not. I managed about 150 words on the bus. None of this makes me happy. I don't know if the student population has greatly increased (highly unlikely) or if a bunch of restaurants around here have closed (more likely), but there really is nowhere to go these days. I don't get it. I can't wait for the school year to end, so I can have my campus and my neighborhood back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Don't they know that town is all about Lord Scott and his convenience? I mean honestly. Somebody should let them know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The thing is, and I'm serious here, that if I don't have a place to write, I won't write. When I get home from work I am just too brain dead, so writing on the bus and at lunch is really all I've got. I'm not just being petulant.

    ReplyDelete