Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chapter Eight, in Progress

Last night I wrote about 1200 more words, and finally there's another corpse. About time, I say. I am pleased with the scene and I feel the momentum of the narrative picking up for me again, which is nice. I think I'm getting past my mid-20K's slump.

wordcountometer = 26,650!

It is taking me longer to get to the end of this act than I thought it would, but since this is just a first draft, I'm not going to worry about pacing. Things seem to be moving, and I don't think there are any wasted scenes so perhaps I should just shut up and keep writing. Besides, there will be another corpse after the next sequence, and then a big surprise for the protagonist, so good stuff coming.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for dead people! Whee! Hah, whatever pushes us forward, right? You're doing great, and I'm glad to hear you might be moving faster now that you past the mid-twenties slump. I'm really liking the whole novella thing. Imagine, when you write your novella, you might be close to finished by the mid-twenties. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking the corpses. I'm expecting you to have quite a few based on your novel's storyline.

    I have a few (four to be exact) in my current WIP. I'd quote a song here but I'm going to spare you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle: I wrote a bit more (300 words or so) at lunch just now. I think producing a corpse always gives me a little push forward. How sick is that? I just hope I can keep the novella down to novella length.

    Crimey: Yeah, the deaths will begin to snowball. I think scores will die in the climax; not entirely sure just yet. I'll see when I get there, but this story is a slaughterhouse. My last novel has around 11 stiffs. Maybe more. What can I say? I write tragedies.

    What song?

    ReplyDelete