Saturday, July 10, 2010

Chapter Thirteen in Progress

Wordcountometer = 45,122!

I continue to plow ahead through the middle of the book. I have one scene to finish in this chapter that should take about 1,000 words. Chapter Thirteen, titled The Sinful Life In Copenhagen, has been a series of revelations about Horatio's hero. One last one is coming.

The next chapter will reveal interesting things about three main characters (possibly four!) and will end with a corpse! Hurrah! The chapter after that, which will bring Act Three of my Four-Act structure to a close, will include threats, paranoia on the parts of several characters, and a dagger. Eeee!

After that, things begin to get really weird. And we'll finally learn how Horatio's father died.

Anyway, excerpt:

“My lord, you honor me with this. I am yours to command. Hven is ever grateful to his majesty your father for the repairs to our church, which was so long neglected in such sinful and illegal fashion by that conjurer Brahe.”

Father Maltar’s eye twitched briefly in my direction but I did not rise to his bait. He sighed and then lifted his face to look at Hamlet.

“I will hear your confession now, my lord.”

“Excellent, good Father.” Hamlet stood and helped Maltar to his feet. “And after I have said my prayers you will perhaps share your dinner with us.”

“The honor is mine, my lord. My assistant, Father Stepan, is even now in the kitchen.”

“Is he preparing eels, perchance?”

“Eels? Nay, my lord. Steamed herring with cream and bread. I believe there is enough to feed your servant here as well.”

Hamlet frowned, scuffed the heel of his right boot across the edge of an uneven flagstone and shrugged.

“Well, Horatio, we must have eels when we return to Kronberg.”

“Aye, my lord. I have patience enough to wait.”

5 comments:

  1. You're really breezing through this writing Scott. I can't believe you're already this far into the story.

    A body, a dagger and eels; how exciting.

    Always a pleasure to read your excerpts; you have such a unique style. I read the last excerpt too - the Copenhagen battle. I like battle scenes. I like how you ended the tale in that one: ". .using much florid language that invoked blood and honor and bravery but left out anything in the way of detail."

    Sounds like a young man full of himself and his grand schemes. Excellent characterization.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. One must always be patient when it comes to eels.

    I'm excited about the paranoia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna: Thanks! I'm trying to make every word count and act as characterization. It's a load of work. Sometimes, you know, you just want to haul out an easy cliche and get on with the story.

    I really don't feel like I'm breezing through this. No matter how far I get with the story, I feel like I'm standing still. Which baffles me.

    Davin: I haven't decided yet if Hamlet ever gets his eels. I hope the paranoia section works. I've been re-reading a lot of Poe to see about that sort of miasma of nerves thing.

    Tara Maya: !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeels!!! I knew that was coming in an excerpt soon. Good luck on moving forward even more!

    ReplyDelete