Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chapter 16, Finished!

Oh, I thought I'd never get out of that scene, but at around 5:45 PM the image I sought came to me and everything suddenly made sense and fell into place and other cliches and I was able, just now, to scribble down the final 500 or so words of the chapter. I am going to break my own rules and call this chapter "The Gospel According to Hamlet," because I can and so there, you.

Anyway, I am not sure how long this chapter is. I wrote about 4200 words, and I crossed hundreds of them out yesterday and today. Let's assume that this chapter is about 3500 words long, which gives us:

wordcountometer ~= 56,100! That's not bad.

It's late and I have no energy to type any of this mess up, so no excerpts. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see. Onward, however, to Chapter 17, in which there will be--finally and at long last--a murder. And an attempted cover-up. And some interesting confessions. Chapter 18 will contain threats, a philosophical argument that turns violent, and someone locked in a trunk. And then, oh then...things start to get messy and violent because it'll be Act V of the classic Elizabethan tragedy structure. That means, you know, lots of bodies. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Mr. Bailey, we are racing neck and neck to the finish line. I now have 58,639. (And I know it's not a competition, I just find it highly amusing we are both at the same place.)

    My last scene just ended with drunken fisticuffs, flying clamshells and a teary eyed woman standing in a parking lot asking WTF?.

    I know I've said I was going with a 5 act, then changed it to 3, but now it's looking more and more like a 5 act again. Woe is me. Do I even know what I'm doing?

    Can't wait for your murders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say how impressed i've been with your output Scott. Feels like you've finished a chapter every time I open my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne: I bet you finish first! I had no flying clamshells, but I had a beach, and the tip of a rapier put against someone's throat. Horatio asked WTF, but not in those words, of course! And don't worry about number of acts; just think about the big story arc and how everything that rises must converge.

    Mayowa: Clearly, you don't open your reader all that often. Hey, I like the new look of your blog. Yes, I know, it's been like two months since you switched. It looks professional. I never comment there because I suck. But I read the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,

    Ha! You're being modest sir, you're zipping through that WIP.

    Thank you for your kind words. I read here too but I don't comment much because I am a natural lurker.

    ReplyDelete