Friday, August 6, 2010

Chapter Sixteen, In Progress

Yesterday I wrote about 1000 words--the first couple of pages, that is--of Chapter Sixteen, which I'm dying to call "The Gospel According to Hamlet," but I won't for a variety of reasons having to do with Denmark's health and England's too. Anyway, this book is a very skewed sort of take on Shakespeare's "Hamlet," as you all know. Some of the scenes in the book (but only a few) are based on scenes from Shakespeare's play. I am working my way through a version of "the play within a play" episode, and if I can get this right, it will be the coolest thing I've ever written. Not just because it has all sorts of in-jokes about the scene in "Hamlet," but also because I am doing it without any of the actors present. Yeah, that's right. I've had the idea for this scene since before I began writing this draft, and I'm finally writing it, and it's very exciting. Stuff like this reminds me why I'm writing this book.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could post an excerpt, but it's such a turning-point scene in the story that it would ruin so much. But still. Eeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great feeling! Hope it carried you through the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeee! is. right! This sounds very awesome, Mr. Bailey. :)

    ReplyDelete