Thursday, September 30, 2010

Adrift, Sort of, In a Sea of Compulsive Activity

I realize that I have gone too long without working on a novel. Bits of my mind seem to be working their way loose and rattling around my head and making it impossible to concentrate on little things like work. There is a compulsion to write chunks of meaningless and disconnected fiction and I am annoyed, more-or-less, that I'm not involved in a grand project. Thank God, I say, that I get to begin revisions next Tuesday.

This compulsive need to create fiction has resulted in one short story that I think is successful. I've submitted it to a literary journal; we'll see what happens there. Finally, I think, I am getting a handle on the short story form.

Ideas for new books/novellas/whathaveyou have also been coming at me too quickly, almost, to bear. Mighty Reader and I were wandering through our local library last weekend when I had a sudden image of a story and I've written down a 600-or-so-word synopsis of the story outlining the three major conflicts and sets of characters and someday, maybe, I'll have time to even write the damned thing. There was a period of time, a few years ago maybe, that I worried I'd have to struggle to come up with ideas for stories. There was a time when I felt such immense gratitude to the universe if I came up with the slimmest of ideas, and now all I have are ideas but I have no time to do anything with them.

Mostly, what I have is the urge to write. I think revisions to Killing Hamlet are going to be a lot of fun.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the revisions, and good luck with the story. I've got two of my own to polish up this weekend for submission, once I hit a pre-determined point with my work on Sublimation.

    I love short stories, but for too many years they've been a distraction from novel writing so I'm making myself earn the right to work on them.

    Welcome to the world of bountiful ideas, Scott. It's a fun place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many ideas. So much time to make them into books. Alas. I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revision is my favorite part of writing. Just something fun about refining all those ideas that just get jotted down.

    Good luck to you.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for revisions and ideas! I'm in a similar boat, but have finally started seriously on Thirds. It doesn't feel like too huge of a project, though. I should come up with another epic something.

    ReplyDelete