Friday, October 22, 2010

Killing Hamlet: Third And Final Revision

And, hopefully, this is my final revision post about this damned book. I am revising the MS for the third time, and I think after this round of work I'll be done enough to send it off to my stellar agent guy. I find that I can't really describe in any intelligible way what it is that I'm actually doing during the current rewrite. Keeping an eye to mood and character, mostly, I guess, and smoothing out little bits of language. Possibly this is a quality-control check for internal consistency. Really, it's hard to say. As I mentioned to Mighty Reader a few nights ago, I currently enjoy a rare state of clarity regarding the entire story, and I'm not going to waste this opportunity to revise while I can see the whole of the tale at one time. I almost never have this sort of awareness of the narrative-as-a-whole, and it's such a rare thing that I find I cannot even describe it in a meaningful way, so I'm not even going to try. Hell, I don't even remember what the original impetus was to write this blog post.

6 comments:

  1. Scott,

    I've been following these revisions with interest. You're exactly right about the clarity being precious and making use of it now.

    You're also right about the difficulty of explaining that clarity. I was only able to describe it by describing what it's absence felt like (Help! I'm Losing My Novel)

    Well done on coming so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayowa: Yeah, I remember that post of yours! I know exactly what you mean. The irony is that I can only really see my novel when I am sort of not looking directly at it. If I come to it with my full, undivided attention, all the type on the pages looks like it's in Martian and I cannot understand any of it. It's always been this way, and I'm learning to not stare the MS in the eye. Which is all very baffling and there must be some neurophysiological explanation for it. In a weird and surprising turn of events, I haven't yet actually read my own book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. /withdraws the weak tea and stale Cheerios.

    Congratulations, Scott. Revel while the reveling is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have sweeping flow (etc.) checks. Someday I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott,

    See you just explained it right there...its like being really far sighted and having to read something right in front of you. The closer you get, the blurrier it becomes.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome about the clarity. I know what you're talking about, and I agree that it's difficult to explain. :)

    ReplyDelete