Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tristram Shandy, Day Thirty-Four and Done

So that's that for Laurence Sterne's satire on English bildungsromans, and a fine time it was. I'm sure I'll miss the Shandean universe even while being happy to move on to some other book. I will not get into the "did Sterne finish the book or not" question, except to say that the idea of some sort of plot resolution is foolish and, honestly, how and where would this narrative properly "end?" I'm just glad to have read it and I exhort you to read it if you haven't done already.

What on Earth will I read next? Finnegans Wake? The Ambassadors? The Cry of the Sloth? A Moveable Feast? Or something entirely else? Hard to say, and you don't care so I won't belabor the point.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! We don't care? Alright, I'll respond to your e-mail. Get a grip, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You needa kick some Paddington Bear commentary our way.

    ReplyDelete