Friday, December 24, 2010

Advent Ghosts 2010: A Story

The following bit of story is my entry into Loren Eaton's Shared Storytelling event for Christmas 2010. Go read the other stories!

"Christmas Eve" by Scott G.F. Bailey

The power was out, and had been for days. We stayed by the hearth, wrapped in sweaters, scarves and gloves, as close to the fire as we could get.

"We’ll run out of firewood soon."

"The roads are impassable. That should keep them away. Maybe there’s something in the basement we can burn for heat."

There wasn’t. After dark, under a thick overcast, the world was black and shapeless. The fire went out after midnight. We huddled by the dead ashes and waited. That was when we heard them, scrabbling down the chimney.

"Oh, God."

I reached for the hatchet.

12 comments:

  1. Very creepy. I am now about to mark sure my father-in-law's house has either no chimney or at least a ready hatchet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, so good, Scott! Talk about creepy! This reminded me of "The Road" for some reason. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The warmest holiday felicitations to you and yours, Mr. Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, Scott, are you sure you don't write for The Genre Lab? That was an excellent horror piece. Glad you were able to join us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame there was nothing in the basement to burn. Nice, tight tale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these cabin tales make me glad I'm in an apartment. This was scary Scott. Nicely done.

    I hope your holidays are not as spooky as this :)

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the intertwined fears and how what they think they need (something to burn for heat) turns out to be what they need to keep them away. Also like that the "they" is left to our imagination. Haunting tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas and may you not need a hatchet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chilling story in more ways than one. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The creepiest of the creepy in this event. Down the chimney indeed. Yikes! You woke me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a great build up... I almost wanted to close my eyes and brace myself by the time it was done!

    ReplyDelete