Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reading "The Fates Will Find Their Way," Pt 2

Last night I read a bit more of Hannah Pittard's debut novel, The Fates Will Find Their Way. I'm really only about a third of the way into it as I have lacked time this week, but I expect to finish the whole thing tomorrow because I'll be either on aeroplanes or waiting around for a shuttle at the aerodrome or on the shuttle for 90 minutes and that ought to be enough cumulative bits of time to read 2/3 of a short novel. One hopes I'll lose this faux-British aero- mannerism during all that time.

Anyway, so far so good, Ms. Pittard. I realized that you are playing fast-and-loose with your first-person plural POV, because we are told things by the "we" narrator that this narrator cannot in any way know, but your book is written so well that it doesn't matter. I'm not a stickler for rule-bound narratives and no good author is, either. So while I think that, technically speaking, a first-person omniscient plural narrator is a bit of a stretch, I refuse to cry foul at your having decided to use one. It's brave and it works, so keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment