Friday, February 25, 2011

The Threepenny Opera

Tonight Mighty Reader and I are going to see Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht's justly-famous bit of musical theatre, The Threepenny Opera, as performed by the Seattle Shakespeare Company. SSC's web page about it is here, and there's a good general page about the opera here. You might know it from its opening number "Mack the Knife." If you don't know that song, you've been living under a rock and you might do something to seek the sunlight, child.

I've never seen The Threepenny Opera performed so that'll be a nice treat for me. In fact, the only Weill/Brecht I've ever seen performed was a sort of postmodern* version of Der Tsar Lass' Ihnen Fotografieren, in German, way back in the 1980s. That was fun, with the assassin's pistol in the camera and all, and the music made my head spin and may in fact be what ruined me for being in rock bands. Hard to say and I digress. Anyway, that's what we'll be doing tonight and I have dressed in a black-on-black ensemble because that seems appropriate. A derby and a diamond stickpin would finish the look, but alas I've neither.

* whatever that means these days

3 comments:

  1. Pray, Mr. Bailey, was it all you had envisioned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was much better than I thought it would be! The cast is great, the direction is clever, the singing was fabulous and the music is unspeakably good. Also, it never hurts when the theater lets you bring drinks into the auditorium.

    I think we're going to start going to live theater more often. I'm never disappointed and it's much more fun than going to a movie. In two weeks we're going to see Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap." I think that in April we'll go to "The Merry Wives of Windsor." And then it'll be almost time for Shakespeare in the Park. This year it's "The Comedy of Errors" and "Macbeth." So good times for Bailey and Mighty Reader.

    Though it must be said that I eagerly await the final installment of the Harry Potter series, too. I have my little hidden shallows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous. When I lived in Providence, I would go to Trinity Rep at least 5 or 6 times during the year. I miss it so much. I had been going for so many years, I knew almost every member of the company.

    Here in Winston they have nothing professional. And what they do have is nothing I want to see. (I hate to say it but they're still very racist in the deep south.)

    The Merry Wives of Windsor sounds like a great treat. And who doesn't love MacBeth.

    And Harry Potter isn't shallow. He's the new Luke Skywalker don't you know. 30 years from now, they'll be writing PhD dissertations on him.

    ReplyDelete