Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Everything smelled like fire

In the days immediately after the plague the buses were running again, though there were few passengers. During long stretches of the day, a coach would be occupied by the driver alone, guiding rows of empty seats through the rainy avenues. The smell of burning was still in the air. Everything smelled like fire: our hair, our clothes, our shelters, even the food we ate. It would take a whole winter of rain to wash all that burning from the air, to clean the soot from the faces of the buildings and citizens left behind. We didn't mind the charred air; it masked other, worse smells we wanted to forget.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, you lengthened it. Love it! I think I like "faces of the buildings" best. That really says a lot to me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come back tomorrow: there'll be a few more sentences. I have this idea to keep adding to it every day until I think it's done. We'll see how that goes. This is exactly the way I don't usually write.

    I don't know where "faces of the buildings" came from, but I like it, too! Possibly I'm attempting some sort of poetry. I really don't know what I'm doing here; I'm making it up as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, what are you doing exactly? This isn't an excerpt from something? You're just building? I think that's really cool. We should do something like this on the Lab. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this up as I go along. I wrote the three sentences yesterday and posted them. Then I thought of the additions you see here, and rather than editing yesterday's post, I just built onto it and scheduled it to post today. There's more tomorrow (already written), and the thing just gets longer each day. I think there will be more and more every day until I'm done. So yeah, I'm just building as I go, accumulating words as they come to me. I'm not letting myself go back and change anything. No idea how long I can keep this up. But yeah, it would be cool to do something collaborative like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, I love it, I LOVE IT. :-)

    P.S. Will e-mail you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete