Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rewrites Done, Cocke & Bull

This is mostly a note to myself so I won't lose the date. This evening I finished the final (pre-sending-to-agent) round of rewrites on Cocke & Bull. I note that I finished the first draft a year and a week ago. Time flies when you're having, etc.

Now comes the part I really hate: typing up the revisions made to the hard copy into the Word(tm) file. I absolutely despise this step of the process and I promised myself that I'd make sure to type up the changes as I finished each chapter. I kept that promise for nine whole chapters out of twenty four. I have a few hours of typing ahead of me, but that's for some other day. Maybe even tomorrow. We'll see. I've been down with a nasty cold for days now and I should be abed but I'm sitting here blogging, like a prize idiot. Quel surpris.

Anyway, rewrites rewritten and the MS is better and I noticed things I'd done in this book that I didn't know I was doing but those things are very cool so well done, me.

5 comments:

  1. Bully for you, Mr. Bailey.

    Last year I went through the sort of same problem. I promised I would do revisions as soon as they came in from my critter and I never did. I let them pile up.

    This time, I'm revising as I go, every day I take the time to read the previous days work and make adjustments accordingly.

    I'm sorry you are feeling poorly. It seems to me you always get like this when you have a serious amount of writing/work to do. You did the same thing with Hamlet.
    Hope you feel better.

    On Monday I will be posting an especial blog post that has to do with the Literary Lab. I hope you will read it. You don't have to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm really happy to read this. Congrats! I just finished my first round of revisions on The Breakaway. Wahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, thanks! Hey, I just remembered where I put my copy of Conmergence. I've been trying to find it at home but I realize I left it at the office. Gosh, I'm thick. But I know what I'll be reading at lunch tomorrow.

    Anne, thanks! I played the same lazy game with the last round of revisions, too. And with each round on the previous two books. You'd think I'd learn, but you'd be wrong.

    I don't know what's up with getting sick. I'm sure it's not related to revisions, though. But the older I get, the more a simple cold kicks my ass. Which, you know, grrr. I will look for your post on Monday!

    Ivana: Yay! Soon oh soon now, and this time, I mean it. I saw your FB update on The Breakaway. Go, you! Hey, that book's about criminals, isn't it? I was going to say that we need to get Davin to write about criminals, too, and then I remembered the cannibal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, yeah, it's about thieves and kidnapping and lots and lots of abuse. Sounds like a joy-ride, eh?

    ReplyDelete