Tuesday, August 16, 2011

3% Solution

Today I surprised myself by adding a new supporting character to my novel. He's a fictional version of one of my favorite associate deans. I'm giving him all the best bits of dialogue. It might worry me that this is turning into another one of those novels that takes place largely on a university campus, but them's the breaks. Inspiration comes from whence it comes and I have no control over that. Probably it was inevitable that I'd write about university life when I decided that I was going to set my next novel in the present day. What else was I going to write about? At least it's about administrators and not about professors. Professors are so passe.

It's also worth noting that even though my lead male character is not likeable, the novel looks like it could be a lot of fun to write. Hopefully that will translate into it being a good read, though I don't mean to say that this is a comic novel. It's just a novel. And I still have no real idea what will happen in it. Once the female lead shows up I might have a better idea.

Oh, and about the title of this post: if the new novel's first draft is to be 100,000 words long, then I'm about 3% into it.

2 comments:

  1. Wriet what you know, as they say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, that's what I've done while writing chapter one. In chapter two, I'm now writing about Catholic relief work in the Congo. I know almost nothing about that, so I'm easing into it by describing the farm where the action is set. All of the animals are named after saints. I make my own fun. But soon I'll have to do a bunch of research.

    ReplyDelete