Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Every Man Hath Business and Desire

So, apparently, on some day in March 2013 one of my early novels--currently titled The Astrologer but that may change--will be officially a published book. I've signed a contract with a small local publisher (Rhemalda Publishing). Possibly I'll try to convince them to use the version with the more pronounced Shakespeare references rather than the version I submitted. That version was called Killing Hamlet and I'm fond of both the title and the overt manhandling of Shakespeare's play in that book. I haven't decided. But still, there it is, a book deal with an indie publisher. So I think that's pretty cool.

Meanwhile, I've pressed on into the second half of Go Home, Miss America. I think this book is the book, if you know what I mean. Even if you don't.

Also meanwhile also, I've gotten to Book II of Our Mutual Friend. Mr Headstone has just been introduced. With a name like "Headstone," you know he's going to be an important character, with his head full of facts and figures about which he seems to feel absolutely nothing. Stone head. Headstone. Get it? Clever Mister Dickens. I wish I had his way with character names. I always end up plundering Butler's Lives or history books.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Mr. Bailey. I do also hope the version that is published has the more Shakespearian prose. One can never get enough of Wild Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Big news! Whoo hoo, and congratulations, and welcome to the Rhemalda fold. They play nice with their authors - hope you have a grand experience with them.

    When is this big news going to appear on the Lit Lab?!!???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Baimonster! You're the Bai-iest! I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Scott!! That's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!!!!! You already know how excited I am for you! I haven't read your newest manuscript, but I do know I was awfully fond of the Killing Hamlet version. A lot. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone.

    The current version of the book is the same as Killing Hamlet except that the Shakespeare character names have been replaced by names of Danish historical figures living in 1601. So the allusions to "Hamlet" are still there in story and language, but they're a layer of abstraction away now. I'm not sure which version I prefer. The Killing Hamlet version seemed to put more pressure on the narrative to make claims about Shakespeare, which was never my intention. The Astrologer lets the arguments within the protagonist's story stand more on their own. Maybe. It's impossible for me to read or respond to my own work with any sort of critical distance. Someday, maybe, wiser readers will do that for me. I guess we'll find out next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very exciting news Scott! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lavanya: Thanks!

    (Tom): Thanks, yes, thanks. It's been a ride, somewhat. If I think much about it, I get headaches.

    ReplyDelete