Saturday, February 18, 2012

Three Years of Six Words For A Hat

Today is the third anniversary of this blog. Huh. I like to think that over the last three years I've grown wiser and am therefore a more interesting essayist now than I was in 2009, but likely that's just wishful thinking. Still, three years. Huh.

I started this blog because I wanted to be a published novelist and I had heard somewhere that if you want to be published, you should have a "web presence." That turns out to be not true, so the original purpose for all this blogging is gone, and now I just post because it's become habitual and sometimes it amuses me. But it is, I realize, done to no purpose. Which is fine, because I also think that purpose is a myth.

Some good things have come through blogging. I've met folks that I really like and admire, and I've thought seriously about some writing issues and I've worked on my nonfiction writing once I realized that I was a bad nonfiction writer. So that's all had use, or it would, if I believe in things being useful, which I really don't. But as I say, it's been fun and interesting sometimes. Dull most times, and I apologize for that, but I can only do so much. Or, rather, I'm only willing to put so much effort into this and "so much" is frequently not much.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary. And I don't know, I think you're a pretty good blogger. You always make me think about writing stuff when I come over here. I mean, you taught me that long rambly sentences aren't necessarily evil. So that must be good for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    Your reasons for writing about books for free seems good to me. Better than most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm very happy you started blogging, because that's how we met, I believe. Yeah, the more I realize that we presence doesn't have a huge bearing on getting published or making big sales, I've backed off. I've seen that it DOES matter, just not in the ways I thought it would.

    Anyway, don't stop blogging. I love reading your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary.

    You may have decided to start the blog to have a web presence for your benefit, but turns out the presence is for ours.

    Dull or whatever else you think you posts are, I hope you keep your presence here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your posts. I nearly always find them interesting and refreshing. I don't have too many people in my life who read like you do (actually, I don't have any) so it's nice for me.

    I hope you keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at this: comments! Nice comments, too. If I read my own blog once in a while, I'd have noticed.

    Anne: Thanks! I'm sure I just pointed you at some good prose by authors I like, and you did the rest. (Also, in case you're interested, Faulkner's Absolom, Absolom! allegedly has the longest single sentence in a work of English fiction, going on for 1400+ words. Not that such things matter at all.)

    Tom: Thanks! I have lately tried to model my work here on yours at WE. Results have been disappointing so I'll likely just go back to thinking less deeply but writing more cleverly. Cleverness is easier than depth.

    Michelle: I think the lesson is that humans matter, and that commerce might not.

    Yat-Yee: Thanks! I'd rather have presents than presence. There's a "prescience" joke in there somewhere, too, but I can't quite find it.

    Cynthia: Thanks! Most of the interesting conversations I have about reading take place in the aether. In real life I have about three people who can manhandle me around the canon. And they do, too.

    Davin: Thanks! I blame you in large part for my having stuck with blogging all this time.

    ReplyDelete