Tuesday, July 10, 2012

the perforated sheet

I'm about 100 pages into Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie's "Booker of Bookers" Prize-winning novel about the partition of India when the English abandoned the country. Though Rushdie can be too gratuitously vulgar for my tastes, I'm enjoying the book so far. I admit that I started liking it more once I realized that it is, in part at least, a modern take on Tristram Shandy. It can't be a postmodern take on TS because TS was already postmodern in 1760. Anyway, things are moving apace and the narrator continues to avoid the story of his own birth. Will Rushdie, like Sterne, manage to delay his narrator's birth for 200 pages? We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I found your blog through google while I was looking up information on "The Perforated Sheet" for a literature class project. did you ever finish reading this and if so, what were your thoughts about it?

    Thanks so much,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,

    I confess that I really didn't care much for the middle section of "Midnight's Children." See this post for blathering. But I liked the last 200 or so pages because the prose settled down and the narrative seemed to form some sort of story at that point. I recall being pretty happy with the way Rushdie ended the book, but I can't say I'm in any hurry to read anything else of his. Maybe next year I'll see about his earliest novels. I read the first chapter of "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" when it came out in 2000 or whenever it was, and I couldn't read past that point.

    ReplyDelete