Wednesday, September 19, 2012

O heaven, O earth, Oregon

Mighty Reader and I snuck away from busy Seattle for four days in relaxing Oregon, at Newport mostly. What did we do? Read some (I'm most of the way through Shakespeare's The Tempest which, you know, is not a brilliant play and every time I encounter it I again wonder at the reputation it has, but I do think that in it I've found the last sentence of Mona in the Desert, unless I forget), wrote some, ran on the beach, walked on the beach, sat along the harbor, splashed in the waves, climbed up and down a bluff, bought a lot of liquor and wine (Oregonians: you must not allow privatization of state liquor stores! It was a huge mistake in Washington!), watched Mighty Reader take a thousand photographs, and drove 600+ miles. I'd like to thank the DOT for the HOV lane from Tacoma to Seattle. Anyway, it was a swell time but I left the laptop at home and our hotel (The Sylvia Beach Hotel) had neither wifi nor televisions nor telephones in the rooms, which was fine. The place is stocked with books, for reading, and places to sit and read those books. We stayed in the Shakespeare room. Last time we were there we stayed in the Fitzgerald room, which I might prefer though Bill's crib is still fine:



But we didn't spend much time indoors. There was too much to see:



And too much to do:



Next time, we will stay a full week, I think.

Photos by Mighty Reader

4 comments:

  1. Hey, we just spent 4 days in Joshua Tree! Here's to relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You owe me photos! Relaxing is good food. I don't think we'll be able to get away again until next year sometime, damn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me happy! I love that picture of you looking through the binoculars. When I met my hubby, he was playing Ferdinand in The Tempest. Watching him kiss another girl on stage was interesting, to say the least. I'm used to it now, of course. :)

    Now I want to go on a vacation. I want to drive out to Seattle and visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ferdinand at least has a character arc, unlike most of the other folks in The Tempest. Some good lines, a famous speech about the stuff dreams are made of, but nothing else.

    Yes, you and Adam need to come to the great PNW and visit us!

    ReplyDelete