Friday, September 28, 2012

Whaur's your Wullie Shaxper the noo?

This is the time of year when Mighty Reader and I plan our Fall/Winter entertainments. Last year the opera dominated not only the seasons but the expense column of our budget. Opera is pricy, darn it. This year we're getting more bang for our pesos by eschewing opera (sorry, Seattle Opera) and concentrating instead on the symphony, chamber music, theater and film. All of which together will cost less than a season of opera. Though I reserve the right to pick up a pair of tickets to La Boheme, because who doesn't love Puccini?

The symphony choices all include works that are unfamiliar to me, except for one night of Rachmaninoff piano concertos. I like to stack the deck in favor of violin music and usually Mighty Reader lets me, but I think we've managed to select a wider-than-usual array of music, and it promises to be a good time. Next week we're seeing the Emerson String Quartet in an evening of Haydn, Brahms and Ades. We see the Emersons every year. I don't know what we'll do after this year when they break up the band.

Just this morning we ordered our subscription tickets to the Seattle Shakespeare Company's 2013 season.  Antony and Cleopatra, A Doll's House, Love's Labours Lost and The Taming of the Shrew. I have never read nor seen LLL, but I'll probably read it before we go to the show. I'm like that. Shrew, mean-spirited and misogynistic as it is, remains my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies. The line about it being death to be from Padua always makes me laugh. SSC promises a "trailer trash" setting, so, um, we'll see about that. I'm most excited about Antony and Cleopatra, which is a beautiful play, a study of aging hedonism et cetera, and the Ibsen.

We're also seriously considering a winter film series, a collection of film noir, I think. Last winter's British noir series was pretty spectacular, so we'll probably go to this year's.

Also: Fortunata y Jacinta continues to amuse and delight. The long section about the merchant families, giving the history of Juan Santa Cruz's family, is wonderful. The two paragraphs about Chinese shawls are simply lovely. Breathtaking, even. Good stuff; why aren't you reading along?

4 comments:

  1. Wait. We've bought Shakespeare tickets? I thought I was supposed to buy those?

    Also, if you'd purchased two copies maybe I'd be reading along with Fortunata y Jacinta but as it is I shall continue with Mr. Evison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bought the new table and chairs, remember?

    Do you want a copy of Fortunata y Jacinta? There's a big bookstore right up the street from me, you know. For to read after you finish Jon's book, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piano concertos? Oh, I'd go for those; although I must admit I'm a fan of violin (especially David Garrett). And cello.

    One day I hope to actually see La Boheme. I hear its awesome.

    I still may be partial to Much Ado About Nothing for Shakespear; but only cuz I understood it with the first reading (and Pierce Anthony did such an excellent rendition in his Immortals series and the story Weilding a Red Sword).

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, I have a hard time sitting through an evening of solo piano music, but concertos are okay. It's hard for me to get excited by instruments other than the violin and cello, though. I'll see pretty much any fiddler performing pretty much any fiddle music. I pretend otherwise, but it's true.

    I've never seen La Boheme, so this might be the year. Last year we went to Porgy and Bess because, well, everyone should see it once in their lives. Also, the novel I was writing at the time has a Porgy and Bess reference so my interest was high. Also, it's good music, which I already knew and I already know La Boheme so I'm sure I'd love it. So I should go. Where am I?

    I don't know the "Immortals" series, but any Shakespeare reference is a good Shakespeare reference, if you ask me. I'm hoping the Seattle Shakespeare Company will do "Julius Caesar" soon, because I love the first three and a half acts of that play. And this weekend a friend of ours sold me on the necessity of seeing "Troilus and Cressida," which I've not so much as read a summary of.

    ReplyDelete