Monday, October 15, 2012

Moby-Dick Reads Itself To You

The Moby-Dick Big Read! Seriously, kids, Moby-Dick as a free audiobookish type thing. Tilda Swinton reads Chapter One.

Tilda Swinton! "Call me Ishmael." Why aren't you making with the clickityclick?

My hype not good enough for you? Here's the official hype from the website:

‘I have written a blasphemous book’, said Melville when his novel was first published in 1851, ‘and I feel as spotless as the lamb’. Deeply subversive, in almost every way imaginable, Moby-Dick is a virtual, alternative bible – and as such, ripe for reinterpretation in this new world of new media. Out of Dominion was born its bastard child – or perhaps its immaculate conception – the Moby-Dick Big Read: an online version of Melville’s magisterial tome: each of its 135 chapters read out aloud, by a mixture of the celebrated and the unknown, to be broadcast online in a sequence of 135 downloads, publicly and freely accessible.

Really, I just listened to Chapter One over coffee and pie. It was awfully cool. Moby-Dick is a perfect "read aloud" book. Don't know why I never thought of that.

3 comments:

  1. Eh, they omit the beginning of the novel. Typical.

    I'm sure the rest is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right; I had forgotten the Etymology and Extracts. Well, that's a shame. Like you say, typical.

    I will pause to wonder why people can't just say "Moby-Dick is a fine novel, so you should read it," instead of coming up with ways to present the book as some sort of hipster event in which you must partake in order to be one of the cool kids. That it's a damned good book is reason enough to read it, isn't it? Why's it have to be an art movement? Why's it have to be a subversive act?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information! I've only read Moby Dick once. I haven't been able to get through it in years, not because I don't like it. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete