Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Astrologer Cover Art


I got this from my publisher this morning. Release date: March 1, 2013.



I don't know what the cover copy will be, but here's something provisional:

In a fictional Europe, historical characters act out a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions. It is 1601 and Denmark is suffering a hard winter. The King divides his time between suppressing local rebellions, pursuing the pleasures of the flesh and acting on his impulses toward petty vengeance by having famed astronomer Tycho Brahe murdered. Brahe's one-time apprentice Soren Andersmann, now royal astrologer and tutor to the crown prince, swears to avenge the murder. When the King, fearing an uprising close to Copenhagen, moves the court to the remote castle at Elsinore, Soren accompanies the royal family, looking for an opportunity to strike down the King. Meanwhile the King and Queen suspect each other of infidelity; the Prince has disappeared during the midst of battle; and the elite Swiss guards suspect that Soren is up to something treacherous.

I know, it's neither actiony nor thinky enough. It's too much plot, not enough with the ideas behind the book. Working on it. There will also be blurbs from other authors, which is nice. Also there's this excerpt, which might give a hint about the book's themes:

“As long as Denmark looks backwards, my lord, there will be bloodshed.”

“Backwards? As long as Denmark is awake, there will be bloodshed no matter in what direction she looks. Save Paradise for eternity. You should be a priest, not a writer of philosophical treatises. What would you have of us? We are Danes.”

9 comments:

  1. That's one fine cover.

    "Suppressing" is spelled with two ps.

    I'd ditch the line about the mutual royal suspicion; I'm not so sure they *do* suspect each other in this version. Okay, you're already planning to revise the copy. First draft. Pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I draw your attention to the family banquet scene, which has made it through every version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, PRETTY COVER! That really fits the book, I think. I love the blood. Mwhaahaha!

    I like that cover copy. It's definitely more plot-oriented, but that's what readers like to see in a cover copy, I've noticed. Quotes can give more insight. Still, I'm excited to the final of the cover copy when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exciting! I like the blood spots. I like the rest of the cover too, but I really like the blood spots. And your name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, enough spoilers. Some of us haven't read it yet.
    Cool cover, but even if you put out a boring red and yellow cover with a check mark, I'd still buy it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I like the blood, too. I'm not worrying about the cover copy; there's plenty of time and plenty of room on the book to expand the ideas. But cool, yes? Yes.

    Davin, hurrah for blood! Blood is compulsory, as Shakespeare said. I am happy to see you in the eworld again. I owe you an email.

    Charlie, who'd do a book cover like that? It'd never sell.

    Rick, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. J.K. Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy.

    Ya see, this is why I don't do comedy for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlie: No, see, my reply was a joke. That's why I don't do comedy.

    ReplyDelete