Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Transcendental Detective, Coming Soon

Although we haven't yet signed the contract, and it's traditional not to mention these things until the ink is dry, I defy tradition to tell you that Rhemalda Publishing and I have agreed to bring out my postmodern philosophical detective novel either late in 2013 or early in 2014. I am very excited about this one. It's a fun book that I wrote to amuse myself and Mighty Reader, and it plays with the conventions of Golden Age detective fiction while still managing to be a literary novel (whatever that means, which is apparently anyone's guess). The title is probably going to be The Transcendental Detective. The detective in question is a real hoot, too. An unforgettable character and all that jazz. So I'll keep my handful of readers posted about that book as things develop. There will be, of course, no news at all for the longest time and then suddenly it will be out for sale.

Oh, here's a brief summary of The Transcendental Detective:

In September 1935 at an island resort off the Oregon coast, a violent storm has washed away not only the bridge to the mainland but also the telephone line, leaving guests and staff trapped on the island with no way to call for help. When composer George Pullman is discovered murdered in the hotel garage, vacationing French Algerian police detective Patience Quince leaves off worrying over the marriage proposal she's received from Ali ibn Mustafa al Agba, and begins to employ the methods of transcendental detection she learned in Paris: she will drink, dream and philosophize her way to unmasking Pullman's killer. Patience knows that the wrong suspect is locked in the hotel cellar and none on the island is safe, but a quixotic foreign woman who quotes Immanuel Kant from memory and keeps a loaded pistol in her purse can find it hard to gain the cooperation of suspicious Americans. Even so, Patience has promised the "shadowy man" from her transcendental dreams that she will find him and bring him to justice.

10 comments:

  1. Patience is one of the most delightful characters in the history of letters, even if she does seem as much MixoLydian as French.

    Don't forget to follow up that Aviation gin deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Aviation people are so going to owe me.

    I don't know if I'd call Patience "delightful" if I was sharing a vacation with her. She has her little ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there was a corpse in the hotel, you'd be glad to have Patience on the case. Just make sure you're not in her line of sight when she feels the need to fire the pistol.

    Don't think I'm kidding about the Aviation people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh- that is very exciting!!! Congratulations! This is one of yours that I have been wanting to read..can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lavanya, thanks! You'll only have to wait another...14 months, more or less. Which is fine; it gives me time to revise the novel again. Revisions are the best part of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I can't wait to read this one. The blurb alone is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd also call Patience delightful and worthy of a series. This is a fantastic book, and I think a lot of people will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A series might be fun, but I worry I'd just end up repeating myself, even in a series as short as three books. I'll have to think hard about that. You know I like each book to have a Big New Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's because I know you like each book to have a Big New Challenge that I fear not of you repeating yourself.

    ReplyDelete