Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday, Odds and Sods

This weekend my publisher emailed me a jpeg version of the final cover design for The Astrologer, with all the sales copy and a couple of blurb excerpts on the front and back. It looks very fine and I'm told that the books will have a matte finish, which is pretty and that pleases me. On the whole, I'm pleased with everything Rhemalda has done to produce my little novel. As a small press, they can afford to pay more attention to authors than they could if they were a huge publishing house.

Also in publishing news from small houses, Chandler Klang Smith has a debut novel coming out in March, just like me. Her novel looks creepy, with a traveling carnival in the 1960s, a murderer on the trail of the master of ceremonies.

In not quite publishing news, but All About Me, I've set aside the first draft of Go Home, Miss America to read through the just-completed first draft of Mona In The Desert. Mighty Reader has asked to have a look at this newest novel sooner rather than later, so I thought I'd give it a look-see before handing her the manuscript. Good thing, too: the first chapter and a half were a real mess, having almost nothing at all to do with the actual story I'm telling. That comes as no surprise, since I had no idea what I was writing when I started this project, but I had no idea just how pointless and wandering the first 6000 words of this book were. After a day or two of panic ("This is unsalvagable," I sighed, shedding a few quiet tears), I got round to work and now, I think, the narrative is pretty solid. Solid enough for someone else to read, at least. I assume I'll revise the whole thing half a dozen times next year; it's what I do.

None of this fussing about with Mona, I think, will interfere with my plan to have Go Home revised by March, at which time I'll begin harassing literary agents for representation. I'm getting excited about the changes I want to make in that book, which is a good sign. Blah blah blah. All of this gets thrown onto the blog just so I can look back and see what I was doing in January of 2013.

Mona and my mother had their disagreements over family history. A fight raged for hours about how old the Triplets were at the time of their arrest and my aunt wouldn’t speak to my mother for weeks afterward. You just stay away from those years, Mona said. My mother agreed and the facts surrounding the births of Mona’s daughters were moved into the no-man’s land where family stories are never challenged. Traumas and mistakes generally find themselves stored in this no-man’s land.

8 comments:

  1. The more excerpts I read about Mona, the more she sounds like someone I know.

    Congrats on THE ASTROLOGER. It's very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hope is that the characters in this book seem real and human in ways none of my previous characters have seemed. We'll see. It was an interesting project. I've taken a cue from Mrs Davidson-Argyle and written about family.

    The Astrologer will be out so soon! I am all a-tingle with nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You just stay away from those years," is a fabulous line!

    I am excited about The Astrologer Mr. B! It has been a while since I've read any part of it, and I know you made some big changes to it. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the protagonist is now a dog named Peanut! The villain is a cat who captains a pirate ship called Margarita! There is an army of monarch butterflies, and a small boy riding a giant rooster! And romance! And a murder mystery! It's got everything, I tell you, everything. Plus, it's all in verse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you put all of this in the summary on the back cover.

    And, I forgot to say that matte is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited that both our books are coming out in March! I can't wait to read THE ASTROLOGER :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My blog is increasingly becoming a place where I "throw stuff up" so I know what was going on later, what I was interested in, what worried me, etc.. It's becoming a journal, which is what I wanted it to be in the first damn place 4 years ago. Not sure what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I can't wait to get your book. Email me when Rhemalda says it's available to order. I WANT ME ONE.

    ReplyDelete