Thursday, March 28, 2013

the rest is marketing, part four(?)

Spotted on the shelf at the Elliott Bay Book Company on Monday evening:



Sales continue to be steady, which is nice. I don't know what sort of people are buying the book or what they expect. That's all out of my hands, which is simply very strange.

Meanwhile, I have reached the point in revisions to Go Home, Miss America where I believe--in a fragile, delicate sort of way--that I am going to succeed in my goals for the two story lines, that the narrative will actually work and that what I'm making is a pretty good book. It's strange to be writing about ideas of sainthood, but one never knows where a narrative will lead us, does one? Not if one is me, that is. Anyway, I feel cautiously optimistic about this book. Mona in the Desert will be another interesting revision process, as that book really certainly doubtlessly is "literary fiction" in that on many basic levels it's fiction about literature, but that's being put off until at least this winter. I have other stuff to do first.

5 comments:

  1. It's pretty cool, yeah.

    This morning I told a room full of physicians (about 60 of them) that they were each obligated to buy a copy. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That must be a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished reading it last night. Amazon and Goodreads reviews forthcoming (is there a difference anymore?), but in short I really liked it. It makes me want to re-read Hamlet and do some research on Tycho Brahe, which I offer as a compliment because that means your sotry and characters are lingering in my head, and while that is an iffy place to be sometimes, it does have its merits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, it was a very nice moment indeed.

    Rick, I'm glad you liked the book! My version of Danish history and Mr Brahe are not exactly accurate; real life was much stranger in a lot of ways. And I have no idea WTF is going on with Goodreads. I assume that it'll become just another Amazon showroom now. What will happen to the Indiebound, BN etc links?

    ReplyDelete