Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Transcendental Update

Very soon there will be official cover art for my upcoming novel The Transcendental Detective (November 2013 release!), and it's looking to be a pretty swell cover. Mel is really doing a great job (so are you, Rhett) and she disguises her understandable annoyance with the fussy and interfering author (so do you, Rhett). Anyway, as soon as there is a final design and I have permission from my publisher, I'll post the cover here. It's very American Modernist, which fits the book.

Meanwhile, I have to ask some other writers to read and possibly blurb the novel. I am not sure what the point of blurbs is; I don't read them when I'm shopping for books and in fact I almost never read them even after I've taken the book home. Do readers give blurbs much weight? I have no idea, really I don't. The blurbs I got for The Astrologer were lovely and a lot of fun, and certainly it's a nice ego boost for the author to see praise for his novel. Certainly publishers like to have people say nice things about books they're publishing.

In other meanwhile news, yesterday I finished writing Chapter Two of the first draft of The Hanging Man, which is intended to be a sequel to The Transcendental Detective, which is a book you haven't read. Chapter Three of The Hanging Man will largely concern France in the 1920s and circuses in the 1930s. Amusement tax and Social Security tax and organized labor and that sort of thing. Of course there is still the mystery of the hanging man to be investigated, and there is also a bear named Charles, and some funny business with a train schedule.

Book III of Finnegans Wake is marvelous, by the way. I am annoyed that I'm not able to sit and read it right now.

7 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your book and the cover, Scott! I do sometimes factor in blurbs as I make reading decisions. It depends on who gives the blurb; someone I admire who rarely gives blurbs would make me pay attention. And, of course, I look at other things like the actual writing, the author, and even the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay for book covers!!! I hope we get to see it soon. As far as blurbs go, I'm not even bothering anymore. I might try, but it certainly won't be at the top of my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Women are naturally secretive." --Arthur Conan Doyle.

    I might use that instead of a blurb. We'll see. Cover art next week, I think. Maybe maybe late this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blurbs - a checkmark in the "I hate them" box. I typically lose respect for the blurb writer. Junot Diaz is an example. I lost all desire to read his books because of the hyperbolic, logrolling gibberish he voluntarily puts on other people's books.

    I can imagine blurbs written with dignity, restraint, and precision, but I rarely encounter them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, blurbs should come with detailed disclosure statements describing the relationship between -er and -ee: shared agent, MFA advisor, briefly dated, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the whole New York writer blurb thing is close to obscene. Novelists blurb and review each others' books in an incestuous little circle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And it's political too ... more than I ever realized before. My friends with Big Six publishers tell me stories all the time. I've had close friends of mine tell me their publishers won't let them blurb my books for reasons I won't even repeat here.

    ReplyDelete