Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Booze Ain't Bad, Neither

They have an ugly website, but The Elliott Bay Book Company has a lovely store, where Mighty Reader and I spent some time wandering about this afternoon. My purchases:

Ghosts by Cesar Aria
The Reverberator by Henry James
Piano Stories by Felisberto Hernandez

So two from New Directions and one from Melville House, both fine small presses. Later, on the walk downhill toward downtown, we stopped at Sun Liquor for bottles of boutique gin and vodka. The bottles themselves are quite loverly.

5 comments:

  1. I have a slight obsession with unique bottles ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottles have good stoppers and are reusable, so we seem to be collecting them. They're also pretty.

      Delete
  2. I don't know that particular James, Scott, but those other two are scores. Happy reading (& drinking) to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sez Melville House: "The Reverberator is James at his most incisive, not to mention most caustic, and perhaps funniest, and one of very few of his novels to win the praise of his harshest critic: his brother William James. It’s also a remarkably timely take on privacy, press freedoms, and our own inquisitive natures." I am sure it is not quite whatever they mean there, but I always enjoy Hank.

      I already had it on good authority that the Hernandez and Aria books were winners.

      Delete
    2. Ha! My enthusiasm either got the better of me or I had just got back from the bar (or both). Thanks for the James blurb.

      Delete