Friday, September 26, 2014

"Da reisst dem Hans die Geduld" (oder) Deutsch Literatur Monat im Internet!

November, I see, is going to be German literature month in some corners of the internet. What larks! What will I read? I have no idea! I'm already reading a bunch of Grimm's "household tales," both auf Englisch and in the original Deutsch. By November, I might be in the thick of Helles und Dunkles, a collection of short stories published by Ginn & Co. in 1948 that includes some Stefan Zweig. Again, all in the original Deutsch, in dark Gothic script, with a handy lexikon at the back. What else, though? Will I read Joseph Roth? Will I revisit the "Danzig trilogy?" I can't say. But something, surely.

6 comments:

  1. Two words for you (nearly the limit of my German knowledge): Goethe + Faust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in the mood to revisit that one yet. Maybe more Thomas Mann, though.

      Delete
  2. Going to climb that magic mountain? Going to Venice? The latter is certainly the shorter journey. Or will it be Buddenbrooks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of Mann's Dr Faustus, actually. "Death in Venice" is a tightly controlled narrative, but it's never Mann's best story. The two big novels you mention are definitely on my TBR list, though. Someday.

      Delete
  3. I just read the first volume of Ekkehard: A Tale of the Tenth Century by von Scheffel. It is so richly detailed and drily hilarious. I'm hunting down a moldy old copy of Volume II in libraries all over the state (because I think old books are better when they smell old), but if I get desperate, I'll download it from Google Books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, that sounds pretty cool. Every couple of years I find myself reading histories written a long time ago. You might look here for Volume II. Back in the day, historians weren't afraid of editorializing. Not that today's historians lack cultural prejudice, etc etc. But I think they used to have more fun.

      I like all the talk about Rammstein on your blog. I should do an Einsturzende Neubauten week here. That would be fun.

      Delete