Monday, November 17, 2014

the Uprising

Mighty Reader and I keep a wall calendar in our kitchen; we pick out a new one each year and they've tended lately to feature flowers and vegetables. Back in mid-October I looked ahead to make sure I'd marked the date of a symphony concert, and I saw written on the November calendar, on this date, the words "THE UPRISING!" in my own hand.

I turned to Mighty Reader. "Do you know what this means," I asked. "What's the uprising?"

Mighty Reader had no idea, nor did she remember when I wrote it on the calendar or why. We've done research to see if there is any sort of uprising predicted for today in literature or, maybe, in the Dr Who canonical works, and we have found nothing. Why did I write "the uprising!" on my calendar? What is significant about November 17, 2014? Yes, I know about the anniversaries of the Greek uprising of 1973 or whenever it was, and the Prague uprising, but what is scheduled, I demand to know, for today?

Perhaps it has to do with the restoration of the Myxolidian monarchy? After all, Mighty Reader and I live with Gradka, queen in exile of the kingdom of Mixo-Lydia, and perhaps she has been making Big Plans. Plans that, possibly, I overheard in my sleep and have written therefore a warning to myself on the kitchen calendar. On the whole, doubtful.

So it's a mystery. But there it is, written in my kitchen in my own handwriting, a notice/warning/call for general mobilization regarding the uprising. Be careful today, that's all I'm saying.

6 comments:

  1. Well, there is this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Organization_17_November
    Perhaps it was a reminder that you were supposed to dine at a Greek restaurant -- sort of a tribute to the date. Hey, it's a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the Greek uprising. I have a vague inkling of an idea that it's got something to do with something Mighty Reader or I were reading back in February or so, but looking over our lists of books read hasn't solved the mystery. Which brings me, of course, back to Gradka, queen-in-exile of Myxolidia. So often, in the end, it comes down to the cat.

      Delete
  2. Forgetful Scott! Just a taste of how my brain works, bahahaha. I deal with crap like this nearly every week, finding myself completely stunned at something I said or did or wrote for which I have no blasted idea when or how or why. Sigh. Maybe this is a little something you should put in a future novel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, one of the projects I have planned has a lot to do with forgetting things. Not quite like the way you've done in your book, but this "uprising" episode would work with what I've got in mind. Which is, really, pretty sad.

      Hey, Michelle! Haven't heard from you in forever!

      Delete
  3. If Gradka is feline, it is good to remember that cats are whimsical! Uprisings may be cancelled at the least notice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very likely the problem is that the Kingdom of Mixo-Lydia has its own calendar. Though Mme Gradka is indeed a cat, and as such she may have simply slept through the Uprising.

      Delete