Friday, December 19, 2014

I Saw Lightning Fall: An Advent Ghosts Story


We waited, reading the heavens. He's coming, I said. Polly held my hand. We were protected by scarves, mittens, hats and overcoats. He's coming, Polly said. It was a moonless night: the million stars aflame within the black. I see the Mikky Way, Polly whispered. She was only four. She raised a hand and pointed to a dazzling movement of starlight high in the east. There he is! This racing glittering thing was followed by another, and then dozens burst forth, arcing swiftly down to strike against the earth. A host of burning white cities mushroomed into the Christmas sky.

[This is my contribution to Loren Eaton's annual "Advent Ghosts" shared storytelling event.]

8 comments:

  1. I think something more than lightning -- or Santa -- was falling! Also, did you notice we both wrote about the (or, rather, an) apocalypse this year? We should compare notes more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one about the clones and the bone saw is truly truly creepy. "We all are." Great stuff.

      I'm going to start writing stories about cats, though. Two years from now I'll be a multimillionaire.

      Delete
  2. Something about this one really grabbed me. Well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great payoff at the end of this one. Just the right dark and twisted tone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, Scott. (But dang, I wish I'd been paying attention; I might have tried my hand at writing one of these. Looks like I'm 48 hours too late!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, put it on your calendar! It's a lot of fun and Loren welcomes all comers. I like the 100-word limit; it forces me to make the language as concentrated as I can. I think you'd enjoy the challenge.

      Delete
  5. Again, I have not participated this year. I fail! But you win! I love this, Scott. It's creepy in a different way than I was expecting, so of course it delights. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you must do this next year. Plan on my hectoring you. I might annoy Malasarn about it, too.

      I'm running out of traditional Christmas tropes for this thing. Next year I'll have to be more creative.

      Delete