Tuesday, March 31, 2015

'What you are going to do, do quickly.'



Mighty Reader and I spent four days on the coast, where it was sunny and not sunny but there was a big damn ocean and no office jobs. We returned to the city on Sunday, neither riding on an ass nor weeping. The photo above shows the scanty breakfast we ate aboard the ferry that took us across Puget Sound to the Olympic peninsula, from where we drove drove drove south to the central Oregon coast. What you don't see through the window is the open water of the Sound. Did we buy more books while on vacation? Yes, we did.

Wait: now I remember what this post was supposed to be about. Last week I had what I think is a great idea for the novel Go Home, Miss America, which novel I thought I'd finished revising. But the idea refuses to go away so I am compelled to attempt to revise the manuscript, and find out if the idea is actually a good one. So that's what I'll be doing for a while, revising Go Home, Miss America, mostly the chapters about the David Molloy character. I'd planned to work on a different book entirely. But I think the revisions will make GHMA a better book, a richer and funnier book. What is this idea? What are these revisions? Maybe someday I'll talk about that, but only if someone actually publishes the novel. Otherwise, who cares, right? Why am I even typing all of this? Don't ask me, man.

3 comments:

  1. Fresh air and new sights are always good propagators of new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! I get some of my best ideas while out running, for example.

      This revision is inspired in part by a small thing you did in White Camellia, actually.

      Delete
    2. Oh, interesting... Glad you found it useful in that way!

      Delete