Friday, August 14, 2015

submission

I have several short stories and several novels out on submission right now. I am hopeful about one novel, cannot remember where another novel has even gone, and hopeful about all of the short stories. At this point I'm not querying anything with agents. Meanwhile, I'm revising a novel called Mona in the Desert that I may end up sending to a few agents, though I am not convinced that the book will have a wide appeal, as the kids say. It contains fairly straightforward writing, but the structure, I am sure, will confuse the average literary agent. A few years ago I expressed interest in writing a novel "in the shape of a cloud of leaves blown off a tree." This is that novel, I've realized. The material is not presented chronologically, or even in a linear manner, but the wind of narrative force blows most of the elements in the same general direction. If you see what I mean and even if you don't. I still have a lot of work to do with the narrative, adding and expanding episodes, inserting references to this and that, assembling the narrator's essay about how Shakespeare's plays are all about the mothers and sons in the ancient Greek tragedies, etc. A lot of work. My personal reading of fiction has slowed to a snail's pace, and I assume that will continue to be the case until the holidays, which will make Six Words for a Hat a dull place indeed. So no change there.

10 comments:

  1. Luck with those submissions!

    Maze of Blood has rather an odd structure... but not so lovely-sounding as the shape of a cloud of leaves blowing from a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the luck! I look forward to Maze. The ToC alone was enough to pique my interest!

      I toy with the idea of restructuring Mona into a linear thing, but it felt so right to do it the way I've done while I was drafting it, and I tend to trust an intuition that strong. I'll see how I feel in a couple of months.

      Delete
    2. Yes, trust it... And let time tell. All good.

      And thanks--hope you like the rest even better.

      Delete
  2. I hope you have pulse pounding success, plenty of acceptances, and lots of greenbacks coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want readers. But thanks for the hopeful wishes! I would take the money.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! Didn't you say some time ago that you were doing a writing project for someone? You were vague about it but I still wonder. That, Ms Umbagollah, is a hint, a request for details. If I may be so impertinent.

      Delete
    2. I've been writing a long piece for myself, but outside that ... I don't know what I would have been referring to. I've written artist statements for friends and I write at work. But I wouldn't call those projects; they're paragraphs, explanations, biographies, etcetera. Now I'm intrigued. I wonder what I was talking about.

      Delete
  4. creating good work in this day and age is consummately to be lauded; best of luck to your efforts and i want a copy when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you well as you fine-tune the novel. "I am not convinced the book will have wide appeal." Man, are we colleagues in that! But it's still worth doing.

    ReplyDelete