Wednesday, September 9, 2015

first world problems

I have not been here, as is clear to my hypothetical dedicated readers, nor have I been elsewhere on the interwebs. I've been hard at work in an office and in a house, preparing for a vacation. I will continue to not be here once the vacation actually begins, because I am leaving the interwebs behind. At odd moments I think about the stack of revisions to my novel Mona in the Desert that will be waiting for me at the close of our vacation; I feel a neutral sort of headache about all the work I'll need to do in the way of typing up changes, but at least all of the revisions are made to the MS and all the new material is written. I feel decidedly not neutral regarding all the work that will be waiting for me at the office, but that's the price we pay for taking time for ourselves, I suppose. "First world problems," as meine Frau would say.

I also, in odd corners of free time, torture myself with the question of what book I'll take on the plane. Possibly The New York Stories of Henry James. Possibly The New York Stories of Edith Wharton. Possibly a Chekhov collection, for comfort. I don't know. I will know when I pack the book.

11 comments:

  1. Wishing you safe—and hopefully relaxing—travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll be around plenty of Gothic architecture, and plenty of food and wine.

      Delete
  2. gehen sie mit freude and have a wonderful time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! Ich werde mit meine Frau reisen, aber wir fahren nicht zu einem Deutsch sprechenden Land. Es wird sehr komisch sein, wann ich versuche Französisch sprechen.

      Delete
  3. i had the same problem when i lived in mexico: when i tried to speak spanish, german came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speak more Spanish than I do French. But barely, which is to say, hardly any at all.

      Delete
  4. yes, i can not get along in about 3, sometimes 4 languages. just enough to get myself in dutch(not one i know haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once made the mistake of taking Faulkner's "Absalom, Absalom!" on a long plane journey. As if being on a metal tube in teh sky for hours on end wasn't claustophobic enough. for the next long journey, I tookvolumes of P. G. Wodehouse. Much more fun.

    Have a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the new edition of Chekhov's In The Twilight, and Lionel Terray's mountaineering autobiography Conquistadors of the Useless. They are both fine books, good for air travel or when relaxing with a Negroni after a day at the Musee d'Orsay. Paris was rainy, but gorgeous.

      Delete
  6. Have a wondrous time... as Disch says, travel is like Miracle Gro for writers.

    ReplyDelete