Wednesday, December 16, 2015

World Cup, or Science Learned Aboard The Bus



"In the Flat-Earth model, the South Pole does not exist at all and Antarctica is instead a gigantic ice-wall extending the circumference of Earth holding in the oceans like a giant bowl, or a “world cup.” As strange as this concept may sound at first, it is a fact that if you set a bearing due South from anywhere on Earth, inevitably at or before 78 degrees Southern latitude, you will find yourself face-to-face with an enormous ice-wall towering 100-200 feet in the air extending to the East and West the entire circumference of the world!" --from the Flat Earth Society website

I've been doing a lot of reading about Arctic and Antarctic exploration lately, so this was amusing to stumble upon. Perhaps I'll add a flat-earther to my work in progress novel. I already have a (spoiler alert!) hollow-earth theorist in there.

5 comments:

  1. i wonder if poe was a flat earther... as a geologist i think the position has some interesting connotations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Narrative of Arthur Gorden Pym of Nantucket is based partially on the hollow-earth theory, which was pretty popular in the mid-nineteenth century. Even as late as 1914 (and later, I guess), people thought there was a north polar continent under that ice.

      My personal opinion is that it's turtles all the way down.

      Delete
    2. The northern polar continent of course has nothing to do with the hollow-earth theory. I was trying to say that the basic geography of the continents has only recently been accurately described. Or something like that, in more precise terminology.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if people actually believe such flat-earth and holl0w-earth theories in the 21st century; perhaps they are engaging in straight-faced ironic spoofing and enjoying the reactions. But even as I write this, I am reminded of the fellow who visited my office on a Navy base in the 80s because he was concerned about the radio-waves emanating from the facility and causing him endless headaches and sleep disruptions; he was not insane and he was not spoofing me -- he assured me of those facts -- and he promised to pursue his complaint all the way to Washington DC since I on behalf of the command seemed unwilling to mitigate the disruptive radio-wave emanations. Now that I am afflicted with and distracted by chronic and acute tinnitus, I am beginning to wonder if the visitor to my office had a legitimate point. Yes, I am besieged by radio-waves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to say that you had better reread Pym... I like turtles all the way down.

    ReplyDelete