Friday, December 2, 2016

Three Things/Free Things

First: I am always gladdened when Dr Miriam Burstein mentions my novel The Astrologer on her blog. My gratitude to Dr Burstein for teaching my book is eternal. Her year in books post today lists The Astrologer as "Novel with which my students had the most fun." Fun, you see? Fun. Color me pleased, and go read the post because the whole list is entertaining and informative.

Second: Speaking of fun novels, I have decided to give away digital copies of a book I wrote a few years ago, called The Transcendental Detective. It features an eccentric detective in the grand tradition of eccentric detectives, with the difference that Patience Quince scoffs at the idea of evidence. As I've said here before, The Transcendental Detective is not really a detective story so much as it's a collection of Chekhovian character sketches through which a tipsy police officer wanders in search of a murderer. Click the appropriate blue link above (you can find it, I know you can) and download a PDF. It is free because I love you, whoever you are.

Third: Just at lunch today, I finished the first draft of the third long section of the current novel-in-progress Nowhere But North. I've so far written about 90,000 words of this book, and I have another 5-10K words to go, introductory and connective scenes that tie the big sections together. Hopefully I'll be done with that business by the end of the year. I offer no links nor free anything related to this third item.

6 comments:

  1. First, Bravo!
    Second, thanks!
    Third, I wish you much success in the final miles of the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Professor Burstein is teh roxor, as the kids say.
      2. It's a stale bagatelle, as Dylan Thomas would say, but at least chewable with plenty of dunking in coffee.
      3. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. All the best in finishing! Sure, I'll download your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The novel's just something I wrote to amuse ma femme, but it has some nice passages and the detective character is a lot of fun. That's exactly the sort of thing any writer would say, of course.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I mentioned the Burstein hurrah on twitter. Or maybe I retweeted Tom's mention.... Probably that. Yay for classroom assignment and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the twittering! I'm a tiny fish in an endless ocean, so of course I appreciate anyone pointing in the direction of my book. I can't say how pleased I am that Professor Burstein teaches my little novel.

      Delete